EXECUTIVE CHEFThe man behind the popular Spanish Gourmet Caterers and Running Bull Sangria at the Queen Victoria markets, Manuel Jimenez-Navarro, recreates the flavours of Spain in the bustling streets of Melbourne.
Cooking is an extension of love.
My favourite room in the house is my kitchen and an extension of my creative soul. We gather family and friends, celebrating life and good food
PROUDLY PUBLISHED IN SLOW MAGAZINE
Manuel Jimenez-Navarro – Vegetarian Paella Recipe
Try this delicious and colourful vegetarian dish that can be enjoyed by the entire family. Easy to make, this recipe is a keeper!
– Olive oil
– 2 red capsicum
– 2 medium size tomatoes
– 1 large onion
– 1 spring of parsley
– 3 garlic cloves
– Cauliflower – quantity optional
– Broccoli – quantity optional
– Pumpkin – quantity optional
– Zucchini – quantity optional
– Mushrooms – quantity optional
– Lima/butter beans (optional)
– Green peas
– 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
– 1 pinch saffron threads or 1 teaspoon of saffron powder
– Vegetable stock – 2 cups of stock per 1 cup of rice (optional can be easily prepared – ingredients celery, onions tomato, carrots, turnip boiled in water for 20 mins)
– salt to taste
– Rice – 1 cup per two persons
– Artichoke – quantity optional
– Emulsify in a blender the red capsicum, parsley, onion, tomatoes, garlic cloves and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
– Cut fresh vegetables in small portions and steam for 15 minutes.
– Heat paella pan over medium-high heat, and add 1 tablespoon of good olive oil per person.
– Add saffron, paprika and salt.
– Add the liquid mixture and cook for approx 5 minutes or until the mixture commences to thicken slightly.
– Add the rice and stir slightly thoroughly coating the rice with the mixture and oil.
– Add steam vegetables, spread evenly over pan.
– Add vegetable stock.
– Once commences to boil add green peas, mushrooms and beans
– Cook the rice until tender. Rest for 5 minutes, and then serve.
Prep Time 30 Min Cooking Time 30 Min